Friday, September 21, 2007

GOP Candidates Appeal to NRA for Support

"Our basic rights come from God, not from government."
--(surprisingly) Fred Thompson.


I must admit, I am torn. I am for our 2nd amendment right to bear arms. I don’t own a gun but reserve my right to. Own it not to shoot squirrels, but to protect myself from a tyrannical government and to protect my family.
Giuliani seems to be turning the corner on this issue. Whether for political expedience, or whether he truly has changed since the 9-11 attacks, I appreciate his being vocal on our gun rights. I don’t, however, trust the Maverick Sen. John McCain—never have, never will. I know I’m a man and shouldn’t talk about “feelings”, but I feel safe with Rudy and don’t with McCain (war medals be damned, I’m thinking about my 2 year-olds future!). McCain will open the Mexican border, appease the liberals, and showboat for a headline or sound bite. I fear the product of a McCain presidency will cause everyone to wish he had a gun. Giuliani isn’t my first or best choice, but I think at core he is a good guy. McCain doesn’t seem to be the same. Sadly, each GOP has his flaw. The question becomes, "Who can win the general election?" Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Dee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed your comment about Barry Manilow :-).

I agree with you 100% about McCain and Giuliani. I don't trust McCain AT ALL. I did a post awhile back dedicated to all the reasons why I WOULD NEVER EVER vote for him in the primary.

As for Rudy, like you, he is not my first or best choice but I trust him and he comes across as very real and honest. Also, on the 2 big issues (War on Terror and Strict Constructionist Judges) he has the right views and I believe he would protect this country and support awesome judges.

Like your blog, and added you to the blogroll. I also linked to you in today's post. Great find on the Pro-lifer Giuliani article.

Chip said...

Thanx Dee,
Your blog is a gem. I am new at this. I'm sure I will offend everyone, even my pastoral patriots. I'm coming to grips that I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to just let progressives slap around science, politicians, and the church around without speaking up and poking a little fun. Since you are a "BM" fan. you should make your blog jingle be "I Can't Smile Without You" because I can tell that's how your readers feel.
I lived in K.C., KS and miss it bad. My frou-frou CA wife complained with the humidity, she couldn't keep a decent hair-doo. CA is nice, but I left my heart in the KC hood where we lived. Thanx for the kind words and your way-cool blog; I'm taking notes. chip.

Chip said...

Incidentally, Rudy took a cell call from his wife during the NRA speech. This has happened before during other speeches. Whether it's staged because he thinks it's cute, or if it is an accident, I don't think that NRA crowd critiquing his every word is the forum to take a cell call. He�s running for President of the US, not prom king.

Me? Again, not my first choice; don't hate him; a tad put off by the discourteous cell call interruption. "Loose the phone Root".